The Severe Disability Premium.

Havering Welfare Benefits Adviser Lorraine Moss today writes in the Havering Daily.

It still amazes me that there are so many people who are missing out on this premium and in some cases, it can result in a substantial income increase.

The severe disability premium is £66.95 per week for each person who qualifies.  To qualify you must receive a qualifying benefit;

PIP daily living component


DLA care component at the middle or highest rate

 Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension).

In order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria;

You must live on your own and nobody claims Carers Allowance or the Carers Element of Universal Credit for looking after you.  There are exceptions to this rule;

You usually cannot have anyone aged 18 or over living with you, unless they’re in one of these situations:

they get a qualifying benefit

 they’re registered blind

they’re a boarder or subtenant (but not a close relative)

 they make separate payments to the landlord

Source Disability premiums: Eligibility – GOV.UK (

The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) can be added if you are claiming the following means tested benefits;

Income Supportincome-related Employment and Support Allowanceincome-based Jobseeker’s AllowanceGuarantee Pension Credit, or Housing Benefit.

If you are in receipt of Contribution Based ESA/JSA or new style ESA/JSA  you can apply for an income related top up.  However, your other income and savings will be taken into consideration. 

You cannot get the Severe Disability Premium with Universal Credit and if you are currently receiving the Severe Disability Premium, you cannot claim for Universal Credit.

How to Apply

ESA /JSA/Income Support  –   Call  0800 169 0310

Pension Credit  – Call 0800 731 0469

Housing Benefit – Contact your local council

Backdated Claims

In some circumstances you can apply for the claim to be backdated to when you first became eligible.  However, you may need to send the DWP proof that you were living alone during the period that you are claiming for.  The DWP will usually accept a letter from your local Council Tax Department that confirms that you were in receipt of The single persons discount during the period that you are claiming for.

SDP For Couples

If you are a couple and you both meet the criteria for example you both receive PIP standard daily living and nobody claims Carers Allowance or The Carers Element of Universal Credit for looking after you.  You would then be eligible for two Severe Disability Premiums. 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.