Universal Credit Payments For Children.

Havering Welfare Benefits Adviser Lorraine Moss today writes in the Havering Daily:

This is slightly confusing because the rules changed in April 2017 regarding the actual amounts that are paid and the number of children you can actually claim for who were born after this date. It is also important to remember that if you are currently not working or earn less than £604.00 per calendar month then you may be subject to The Benefit Cap.  Please see https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/how-earnings-affect-when-benefit-cap-starts

Children Born Before 6 April 2017 –  The child element for the first child is £281.25 and £235.83 for every subsequent child born before this date.  

Children Born After 6 April 2017 –  The child element is £235.83 with a maximum of 2 children.  There are exceptions to the 2 child rule, for example if your second child is a multiple birth and you had twins, you would then be eligible for 3 child elements.  Please see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-families-with-more-than-2-children-information-for-claimants#special-circumstances.  

Disabled Child Addition –   There is a higher and lower rate of this element.  The lower rate is £128.25 and this if for  any child who receives Low or mid rate care Disability Living Allowance, Low Rate Mobility Disability Living Allowance, Standard Daily Living Personal Independence Payment and Standard mobility Personal Independence Payment. If your child receives either high rate care Disability living Allowance of Enhanced Daily Living Personal Independence Payment, they will be entitled to the higher rate of £400.29.

Please not that even if you are not receiving a child element for a child who is disabled (for example they are your third child and born after 6 April 2017) you would still be entitled to the Disabled Child Addition. 

Help With Childcare Costs

You can get help with child care costs if it is provided by  ;● registered childminder, nanny, playscheme, nursery or club● childminder or nanny with a registered childminder agency or childcare agency● registered school● home care worker working for a registered home care agency

This is known as ‘approved childcare’.

The rules about how childcare providers become approved are different depending on where you live.

Source https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs.  Via this link you can check that your current childcare is approved.

How Much Do You Get –  For each monthly assessment period you will receive 85% of the maximum childcare costs up to a maximum amount of £646.35 for one child or £1108.04 for 2 or more children.  The DWP can ignore any costs they consider to be excessive in relation to the amount of work you actually do.  They can also ignore costs met by your employer or paid for you when you take part in work related activity or training.  

Source Disability Rights Handbook April 2020/2021. 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.