Havering has been honouring its many local heroes at the Mayor’s Civic Awards in recognition of their contribution to the community.
The eclectic line-up of residents was recognised by former Mayor Councillor Michael Deon Burton who served as Mayor between 2019-2020, after the awards were set back a year due the pandemic.
Among the 25 recipients were:
- Paralympic swimmer Brock Whiston who has been chosen for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and set three world records at the 2019 World Championships
- Staff at Havering Volunteer Centre for turning it into a vibrant community hub
- Parade Marshall Simon Moore for his contribution to organising the Armed Forces Day Parade
- Netball tutor Viv Allaway – a sporting inspiration, who led pupils to the London Youth Games and continues to coach pupils at Newtons Primary School although retired.
- Representatives from the Queen’s Theatre, Havering Inter-Faith Forum and local businessmen.
The ceremony was held at Havering Town Hall in the presence of Councillor Michael Deon Burton and present Mayor Councillor John Mylod, whose awards will be made in Spring.
Councillor Michael Deon Burton said:
“It’s a great honour to host the Mayor’s Civic Awards to recognise the many people in our community who have gone above and beyond what they needed to because they care about others.
“They have stood the test of time and remained committed and supportive during the pandemic.
“My heartfelt thanks and congratulations go out to each and every person.”
Each person received a pin and certificate to acknowledge their achievement.