Firefighters rescue woman and child from Romford blaze.

  • thehaveringdaily.co.uk

Firefighters rescued a woman and a child from a flat fire on Vignoles Road in Romford yesterday Tuesday August 31.

Part of a ground floor flat was damaged by fire. Firefighters used fire escape hoods on the woman and the child and led them to safety. They were treated for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews. A man left the property before the Brigade arrived.

The fire is believed to have been caused by the unsafe disposal of a cigarette. A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but seriously damage your health.”

Safety advice for smokers

  • Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
  • Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.
  • Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.
  • If you must smoke, do it outdoors.

Fire escape hoods provide members of the public with up to 15 minutes protection from four of the main fire gases (carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, hydrogen chloride and acrolein) and can be worn by conscious or unconscious people. If more than 15 minutes protection is required then another hood can be given to each wearer. They do not provide oxygen but temporarily filter toxic smoke to make breathing easier.

The Brigade was called at 23:40 and the fire was under control by 00:37. Fire crews from Dagenham, Ilford, Romford and Hornchurch fire stations were at the scene.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: