A single mother from Collier Row with three children under the age of ten, has been left in nightmare conditions after the ceiling of her bathroom collapsed leaving her with sewage dripping from the flat above.
Nikki from Crossroads, had called the Council four weeks ago to report a hole in her bathroom ceiling. She told the Havering Daily:
“I reported the first hole four weeks ago and nothing was done. A second hole then appeared, so I reported it the following week and nothing was done.
“A huge crack in the ceiling then appeared and I reported it again for a third time and still nothing was done. Then, as I was in the bathroom, the whole ceiling collapsed.”
This left Nikki with a bathroom she could not use.
“The water coming down is brown, it is the sewage leaking from the toilet in the flat above. There is no way I am allowing my children to come into this room. They are going to the toilet in a bucket and I go into the bathroom to empty out the bucket. It is awful.
“My whole house stinks, there is mould everywhere, the tiles have come off. I need to keep the windows open. It really is disgusting.
“If they had repaired the first hole when I called then, then perhaps this would not have happened.”
Mawney Ward Councillor Dilip Patel was contacted on Friday regarding this issue and got on the case straight away.
Councillor Patel contacted Havering Housing Manager to start fixing the problem and now the leak has been stopped.
Councillor Patel told the Havering Daily: “This situation was bought to my attention on Friday and I immediately contacted the Housing Manager to start resolving this. We are working as fast as we can to resolve this.
“I’m glad the matter is now in hand.”
A spokesperson from Havering Council told the Havering Daily:
“We are sorry that Ms. Adams has had to go through this. Every resident deserves to feel safe and comfortable in their own home. We are doing all we can to help this resident to resolve the issue.
“This leak was coming from a privately owned flat above. As soon as we found out about it, we contacted the owner and have made arrangements for the leak to be fixed and the repairs carried out to Ms Adam’s ceiling.”