Maisonette fire in Hornchurch believed to be due to unattended cooking.

  • thehaveringdaily.co.uk

Firefighters have issued a cooking safety warning after a maisonette fire on Victor Close in Hornchurch yesterday, Friday 6 May.

Part of the second and third floors of a split-level maisonette were damaged by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by cooking left unattended.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home.

“Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.”

The Brigade was called yesterday at 15:28 and the fire was under control by 15:44. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Harold Hill, Dagenham and Romford fire stations attended the scene.

Firefighters’ tips for safer cooking

  • Don’t leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
  • Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.
  • Try to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood, extractor fan and grill clean – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire.
  • Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: