The Hornchurch and Upminster MP Julia Lopez has joined the Havering Daily Campaign to Back our Bobbies.
She told the Havering Daily:
“It goes without saying that I support our local police and I welcome the Havering Daily’s Back Our Bobbies campaign. I have long pushed for better police funding, extra officers for London’s outer boroughs and a police covenant.
“As a member of the government, however, I want to back words up with actions so officers can better carry out their difficult and complex work in keeping our constituency safe. Here is what we are doing to deliver:
- Recruiting over 4,300 officers since September, with the target of 20,000 more officers by 2023. By autumn, our local borough commander will have received over 150 extra officers for our local Borough Command Unit.
- Boosted police pay by 2.5% this year
- Enshrining a Police Covenant in law, giving greater protections to police officers and their families
- Consulting on doubling the maximum sentence for assaults on emergency workers to two years
- Lifting emergency stop and search restrictions
- Equipping more officers with taser devices
- Providing police with up to £1.1 billion of additional funds this year, the biggest increase in a decade
- Holding the Mayor of London to account for his leadership of the Metropolitan Police via regular meetings with Met Commissioner, Cressida Dick.
- Working to get more local people into the Met, especially Havering students, by helping our Borough Commander promote the new police apprenticeship.
- Supporting borough officers with outreach work, particularly on youth violence.
- Working with our Borough Commander to make the case for more resource to outer boroughs to the Mayor and Commissioner.