Following the recent concerns about dog theft across Havering and east London, East Area police Inspector Lisa Ryan has issued the following statement:
“So far this year there has been 1 offence reported to police for theft/attempted theft of dogs in Havering.
I appreciate that members of the public are looking to help when they circulate information via social media platforms.
However, I would ask they don’t do this as it can cause panic and alarm.
There is currently no evidence to suggest that criminals are monitoring social media looking for dogs to steal at this stage.
I would urge residents to report any matters to police by calling 101, or reporting on the following link https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/.”
Crime prevention advice:
· Ensure dogs are microchipped and keep details of owner up to date
· Do not leave dogs unattended in vehicles or outside shops
· Walk dogs in well lit areas
· Vary times and routes when walking.
· Ensure gardens / kennels are secure.