VIDEO:Nitrous oxide- how harmful is it?


Nitrous Oxide or the silver canisters as they are more commonly known as, are a very common sight across the borough’s streets.

The photographs and video below were taken a Sunday morning in an Upminster car park, showing the aftermath of a Saturday night. Shocking reports of children as young as ten inhaling nitrous oxide have been seen.

Nitrous oxide.

It is classed as a Psychoactive Substance which is a psychoactive drug and is covered by the 2016 Psychoactive Substances Act, which means it’s illegal to give away, yet sadly it is very easily purchased in shops and online as it is used in a variety of purposes such as the coffee making process.

If the police catch people supplying illegal drugs in a home, club, bar or hostel, they can potentially prosecute the landlord, club owner or any other person concerned in the management of the premises.

It can be extremely harmful and have long lasting effects. As mentioned on FRANK: Inhaling nitrous oxide directly from the canister is very dangerous because the gas is under such high pressure. It can cause a spasm of the throat muscle and stop a person breathing.

It has also been reported that it can have long last damage to the brain.

As of 2016, nitrous oxide is covered by the Psychoactive Substances Act and is illegal to supply for its psychoactive effect.

The scene on Sunday morning in an Upminster car park.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: